ORAL HYGIENE AT HOME
Why is oral hygiene so important?
The best way to prevent cavities and periodontal disease is to brush your teeth daily in addition to flossing properly. Periodontal disease and cavities are both a direct result of bacterial plaque, a colorless film, which adheres to your teeth and over time, in the absence of good dental hygiene, turns into tartar. By brushing and flossing daily, you can eliminate these germs and help prevent periodontal disease and cavities.
How to brush your teeth
- It is recommended that you use a soft toothbrush
- You should place the brush at an angle of about 45 degrees where your gums and teeth meet
- Slowly move the brush in a circular motion using small gentle movements on the outer surfaces of your teeth
- Apply light pressure without causing pain
- To clean the inner surfaces of the front teeth, you must hold the brush vertically
- Clean the biting surfaces of your teeth using short, gentle movements
- Once brushing is complete, rinse your brush vigorously to remove all the plaque you have released during brushing
If you feel painful areas while brushing your teeth or simply have questions about how to brush your teeth, feel free to contact Dr. Al Eid's office today. It will be our pleasure to answer all your questions.
Remember, they are not recommended for children under six years of age.
Mouthwashes are used in conjunction with brushing and flossing and can reduce the chance of cavities by up to 40%. Although anti-tartar toothpaste reduce tartar above the gum line, gum disease often begins below it. Mouthwashes can therefore help control early gum disease if used in conjunction with brushing and flossing. If your teeth are particularly sensitive, consult Dr. Al Eid, as he may recommend a medicated toothpaste or mouthwash specially designed for sensitive teeth like as yours.
Professional dental cleaning
Daily brushing and flossing reduce tartar to a minimum, but a professional dental cleaning will remove tartar in all areas that your toothbrush and floss cannot reach.
Your visit to the Bellerive Dental Clinic is an important part of your dental routine to prevent gum disease and keep your teeth healthy throughout your life. Don’t wait to get in touch with us! Call us today to learn more about our services at 514-355-7635.